Friday, January 12, 2007

Where are the classics?

Today my oldest daughter was telling me about his story she had to read for her "Literature" college class. By the time she finished telling me what the story was about, I was thinking, "They consider that literature?"

The dictionary defines literature as: writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays.

For this same class she had to read short story by Stephen King. PLEASE tell me, how that could ever be considered literature? I'm floored! Her class was not the only class told to read a Stephen King story. Baby Girl #2 had to read one for her literature class too. They aren't even being taught by the same teacher!

What kind of junk are our college students learning? Why is it necessary for them to read hogwash? How does that improve their lives? How does that make them a better person? Putting warped images in their minds is a waste of brain cell.

What happened to the great classic literatures? Just to name a few, books or stories by Charlotte Bronte, Louisa May Alcott, O. Henry, Mark Twain, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo, Emily Bronte, William Shakespeare, Robert Louis Stevenson and of course the greatest book of all, The Bible. Why aren't they pushing those books?

I'm so ticked! Why make someone read a book they don't want to read? What if they don't want the horrific images described in the books in their brains. Once it's in there, it can surface at any time. Whether you want it to or not. URGH!!!!!!!! I better stop right here before my pre-saved vocabulary starts spewing out.

No comments: