Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Quote On Love

I was browsing through some of the blogs I occasionally visit and came across a quote that just leaped out at me. The quote is by my Still Waters' favorite writer.

"Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket–safe, dark, motionless, airless–it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."
~ C. S. Lewis

The young man's blog was listing 13 random quotes. This particular quote really got to me. We can all read the same thing, but it can touch us in different ways. It also depends on where we are at moment as to how it would affect us. I mean I read it today and it affected me a certain way. I could read it in a couple of months or years and I could get something totally different than the last time I read it.

Today, that quote made me cry. So many people are missing out on an incredible blessing, because someone they loved has hurt them. Why is it that we hurt those we love? What makes us do that?

I think that we only hurt ourselves when we don't love others or allow them to love us. We become hardened, withdrawn, sad, lonely and empty. I'm not talking about loving a special person. I'm talking about loving someone in general. A hardened heart hurts the one that's building the walls around it. Yes, we become vulnerable when we love, but think about what comes along with allowing yourself to love someone or allowing someone to love you.

To me loving someone fills me with joy. It brightens my day. Makes my heart skip beats. It makes me smile at the thought of them. Makes me laugh. It gives me people bumps, as my children use to say when they were little, cause they were not geese. LOL! It gives me hope for tomorrow. Hope that by loving or allowing me to be loved, things CAN change.

No comments: