Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mom, Can I Talk To You And Dad?

One isn't sure what's going to be said when one hear, "Mom, can I talk to you and dad?" Your heart starts racing. Your mind starts reeling. You wonder what's happened? Is it something serious? Is my child in trouble?

When I heard my G.I. Joe say those words to me, I was at peace. I knew what we were going to talk about. I knew that something had happened. Something every mom and dad hope and pray would happen. I had noticed something different for quiet some time. I had seen the change in his countenance. When he walked into my room and said those words, I knew. I knew he had rededicated his life.

How did this all come about? Well, God has been working in his life. I had noticed some changes here and there. Not that he had a bad attitude, but every once in a while it would pop up. I wasn't seeing much of that. He would do things without being told to. I saw a commitment and self discipline in him that wasn't there before. Then tonight the youth from our church went to what is called The Judgment House. It's not a haunted house. A group of volunteers from that church put on a play. It's a situation play, you get walk from scene to scene. This year it dealt with two teenage girls, who skipped school and decided to go to the beach. They stopped at the bank to get some money. While they were there, the bank was held up. One of the girls was killed. The dad of one of them was killed also, they hadn't noticed that he was also at the bank. So, the story evolves from there. The made one of the building look like a bank. They even had a squad car and policemen acting out their parts. It all looked very real. They even had one room that was "hell". In that room, they turned up the heat and left it very dark. You could hear wailing and gnashing of teeth. It was as close to Revelation as they could get.

G.I. Joe asked Jesus into his heart when he was 8 years old. He had the faith of a child. I can still remember him bowing his head and asking Jesus to come into his heart. When he looked up he had a huge smile. I know that he didn't do that to please me or any one else. He decided to rededicate his life because he now has matured in his walk with our Heavenly Father. I'm so proud of him. My little boy is growing up. Be still my heart...

2 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Walking with God is the most grown-up thing anyone can do. May your son experience incredible blessings as he continues the journey with Jesus. Amen.

Lady G~ said...

How right you are California Teacher Guy. Knowing that we'll be spending eternity together with our Heavenly Father fills me with great joy.