Monday, December 25, 2006

Chasing Freedom

First off, today we celebrated my Savior's birthday. He shed His blood and gave His life so I could live eternally with Him. For that I'll be forever grateful. I hold on to God's Word. When I get to heaven, "...God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."- Revelation 21:4

Today we saw a movie called Chasing Freedom. I had rented it a couple of days ago, but we hadn't gotten around to seeing it yet. My Babe, our girls and I sat down to watch it. It tells the story of a young Afghan woman (played by Layla Alizada) who is persecuted by the Taliban for running a school for young girls and the pro bono attorney (played by Juliette Lewis) who reluctantly takes on her asylum case after the woman is detained when she arrives at a U.S. airport in search of refuge. The film was inspired by a real asylum case handled by a team of dedicated pro bono attorneys.

This shows sympathy with the persons seeking asylum and doesn't show the INS in a good light. But, the process was and is necessary. I didn't see them as being bad or evil, it's a process that needs to be done. Can it be improved upon? Yes, I think so. Do I have the answer, no.

A couple of weeks ago, my Babe blogged about this very issue. It's a MUST read. For everyone's convenience I'll just re post it here. I'll also share his blog site, More To It Than This. He's and incredible man, who is blessed with wisdom and discernment.

Sharia Law is spreading

This story out of the U.K. is troubling. Some see this as a positive thing but have they really considered all the consequences.

A stabbing case involving Somali youth in south-east London was not handled by the English justice system but instead by an unofficial Somali "court". Although, at first glance you may cheer this approach because of this particular ruling, you should stop and survey some other rulings in Islamic influenced countries. As an example, look at this case of a journalist being sentenced for publishing the now infamous cartoons.

Is this the kind of law you want spreading to your part of the world? Consider this quote from the stabbing story out of the U.K. :

Mr. Yusuf told the programme he felt more bound by the traditional law of his birth than by the laws of his adopted country. "Us Somalis, wherever we are in the world, we have our own law," he said. "It's not sharia, it's not religious — it's just a cultural thing."

No comments: