Thursday, September 27, 2007

Florence Nightingales

I'm blessed beyond measure. I feel loved and cherished. My Knight and my children do their utmost to look after me. Not only when I'm well, but specially when I'm not.

Let me start off by saying that I have an EXTREMELY sweet tooth. I LOVE my sweets. If I didn't have children, I would eat my dessert BEFORE I would eat my dinner. If I could get away with it, I would eat a piece of cake and coke for breakfast. My ideal snack would be cookies, cake or chips with coke. Not only do I love sweets, but I love junk food. When it comes to food, I'm not one to set a good example. Well, to be honest, I'm not one to set a good example about many things. But right now, I'm talking about food and my "bad" (good to me) eating habits. Since I know about my sweet tooth, I'm very careful about having a good brushing habit. Like the dentist says, "only take care of the teeth you want to keep!" So, I'm a little OCD about that. If I wasn't how would I be able to eat all my sweets?!

Monday I had a "procedure" done. Now a days everything is called a "procedure". What did I have done? I had my 2nd molar extracted. Turns out that it had cracked and I hadn't noticed. My dentist wasn't able to crown it, so it had to come out. But he couldn't do it, because of it's angle. So I had to have an oral & maxillofacial surgeon do the work.

I was his first case of the day. My appointment was at 8am. That in itself, is a problem. You seem, I am not a "morning" person. Not that I wake up grouchy or can't function. It's that I'm a "night owl". I can stay up until 2-3 am with no problem. I rather be up at night, than be up early. The bigger problem was... that in order for me to have my "procedure" done, I have to take an antibiotic before I have any type of dental work (even a cleaning) or any type of surgery. The reason for that is because I have a shunt in my head. The antibiotic is to prevent any "potential" infection. Well, I had to take my antibiotic 2 hours prior to my appointment. That meant, I had to be up at 6am! Now, I know I'm sounding like a girlie girl, but I'm not use to being up at that time. Well, there are times that I am trying to go to sleep at that time, but that's another story, for another day.

I had opted to be "put out" for my procedure. Well, wouldn't you? I didn't want to "hear" anything that was going to go on. He had no trouble finding my veins. I've been told I'm a dream come true for a Phlebotomist. My Knight was in the room with me until I drifted away to La La Land. Next thing I knew, I was being asked to walk into the recovery room. I must of drifted off, cause then I was being walked to my carriage. I don't remember the ride home. I can't even recall getting into my pj's.

I've been able to rest and recover nicely, thanks to my beloved family. They're all so nice to me. Also due to some prescribed pain medication. PRAISE THE LORD for those! It's also helped with my headache. I get a doozy of a headache whenever I see the dentist. You see, in order to work on someone's teeth, the dentist has to hyper extend the patient's neck, so he can have a better look while he works. For a person like me, who has chiari malformation, and cranial settling, hyper extending the neck is not a good thing. I have headaches for days. The numbing and tingling gets worse. The intracranial pressure gets worse, even though I have a shunt. But after a few days, things settle down.

There is a lits of things I can't have for 6 weeks. That, I can deal with. My biggest dilemma... I can't have any coke for 48 hours! Oy vey!

No comments: