Friday, March 23, 2007

An Old Friend

Two days ago my Knight was umping a Juniors (13-15yr old players) Little League game. I was sitting watching the game. I had his bag where he keeps all his gear in, with me. His cell phone started ringing. I debated whether to answer it or not. I thought it might be best if the person left a message. The changes of me forgetting little details is very high. :o) BUT, I decided to answer it.

It was July. A high school friend of ours. It was great hearing from him. He was coming to town to visit a friend of his and his wife. We made plans to meet for dinner. We talked briefly. It brought back lots of good memories. I looked forward to seeing him and meeting his family.

July lived in my neighborhood. He lived a block away from me. We went to the same high school. That's where he met my Knight. They were in the aviation class together. They were also in The Golden Knight's club. It was the aviation club.

While in high school we had a close group of friends. Mostly kids from our neighborhood or who worked in the local, El Coral market. At this time I was smitten with "O". July, "P", "O", Red and "M" were the Bayou Brothers. Bayou in Spanish is kind of like "party". The girls in the group were Boss Lady (my sister), Sol, "N", "Guerra" and myself. Officer W, joined the group later on. "M" and Sol were smitten with each other too. So there were only two couples in the group. But we were all close friends. Boss Lady and Guerra still keep in touch. Sol and I, though miles keep us apart, modern technology keeps us close. I'm thankful for our friendship.

We met at EPCOT. His beloved wife, "A" and I hit it off instantly. We talked all night. There was never a quiet moment. She is so genuine. What you see is what you get. He is very blessed to have such a wonderful wife.

All the guys in the group have kept in touch. He caught us up on how they are all doing. None of us brought up "O" I think we thought it a bit awkward. Don't know why though. It saddened me to hear that July had suffered a heart attack when he was 36. He had quadruple bypass. That blew my mind. July still looks like July. He hasn't changed, he's still the same. Just a little older. Why is it that men age so nicely and women, well, you know.

July and "A" are blessed with two beautiful little girls. "L" is 8 and "K" is 7. Our girls held hands the whole time. We got to eat at the American Adventures. Just as we were finishing eating, the fireworks started. Soaring Amongst The Clouds and Daughter Of The King were startled and jumped in there seats. Needless to say, everyone got a kick out of that. "L" and "K" were such a joy to get to know. It was so sweet to watch our children together. Brought back bittersweet memories of when I was younger and my childhood friends.


This was the only picture we got to take. Wish the picture was a little bit more of a close up. But I'm thankful someone was nice enough to take this one. Another picture was taken with "A's" camera. As soon as she emails it to me, I'll post it.

We had a great time catching up. We exchanged emails and hope to keep in touch. I hope we do. the promised to give us a call again when they come to town. I look forward to seeing them again.

No comments: