Friday, July 04, 2008

Why Did My Son Have To Die...

My Knight is not into big crowds. So going to see fireworks is not something he enjoys. In the past we have gone to Quaint Little Town to watch the fireworks. We usually get there just in time to watch the show. This is the first time in a couple of years that we stayed home.

We didn't get together with any one. It was just us, the dwellers of the Castello. My Knight just wanted to be home and relax. I know our children understand why their dad wants to be home and relax. But I also know that they would of loved to have invited friends to come and spend the day with us. Our Castello is our sanctuary. A place of refuge. The last couple of weeks we have been so busy, we really haven't had any down time. My Knight was looking forward to some peace and quite and no agenda.

Being that we were home all day with no plans, gave me lots of time to think about this holiday. Did I mention that my Knight was watching the History Channel...well he was. This is a popular channel at our home. So is the Discovery Channel. Being that it's the 4th of July, the History Channel mostly had programs relating to Independence Day.

I really didn't sit down to watch the programs, but I did catch glimpses here and there. At one point I heard something about George Washington and how a British soldier has not fired upon him. I was reminded about a book I read years ago. It's called, The Bulletproof George Washington, by David Barton. I highly recommend this book. I also thought about how this country came to be founded and why. I thought of all those that have bled and died in order for us to have freedom. Most importantly, I thought about my Lord and Savior... Jesus Christ.

A while ago, I received the poem written below. I think it's the perfect time to share it...


A mother asked President Bush,
Why did my son have to die in Iraq ?"

Another mother asked President Kennedy,
"Why did my son have to die in Viet Nam ?"

Another mother asked President Truman,
"Why did my son have to die in Korea ?

Another mother asked President F.D. Roosevelt,
"Why did my son have to die at Iwo Jima

Another mother asked President W. Wilson,
"Why did my son have to die on the battlefield of France?"

Yet another mother asked President Lincoln,
"Why did my son have to die at Gettysburg ?"

And yet another mother asked President G. Washington,
"Why did my son have to die near Valley Forge ?"

Then long, long ago, a mother asked...
"Heavenly Father, why did my Son have to die
On a cross outside of Jerusalem?"

The answers to all these are similar --
"So that others may have life and dwell in peace,
Happiness and freedom."

~author unknown

No comments: